Saturday 29 September 2012

The Sea Hag Cookies

So I caught a cold at work this week. Everyone in the office got it, it seems, except for me. I thought I had a superhuman immune system, but after a couple of days of overtime work and lack of sleep it finally got to me. Today, I took a sick day and stayed at home to rest. I was feeling cold and I lonely and I wished someone was there to take care of me and make me a nice bowl of home made chicken noodle soup. In fact, I knew a girl who made the best chicken noodle soup ever. Actually. she is a hell of a cook in general. She could make a complete thanksgiving turkey dinner all by herself and it was the best turkey I ever had. She also spent a lot of time making canned goods. She made pickled green beans and pickled cherries and canned peaches, canned spiced apples, but the best was her jams. I miss her and I miss her food a lot too!

So I feel like shit and I feel depressed. I need a little pick me up. Well as it turns out, this lady friend of mine also had a blog where she wrote all sorts of random stuff, but talked mostly about candy. She was a very good writer and had a great sense of humour. Her pen name was Sea Hag. I've been peeking at it from time to time. Her blog is actually what inspired me to start my own. A while back I remember one of her posts talking about a recipe for some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies she once made for her colleagues at work. I've been meaning to try it to see if they were good. Tonight could be the night. I was too high on cold medicine anyway to get any sleep (that decongesting cough syrup is like Red Bull on steroids) and I thought some good warm cookies with a glass of milk would cheer me right up anyway. So I made the cookies. And now I'm totally going to rip off Sea Hag's blog and post her recipe on here and claim it as my own, mwahahahaha!

Seriously though. Here's the link to her recipe. I think she deserves credit for the awesome cookies.

Here's what I did:



Ingredients:

This will make a batch of two dozen cookies. You can roll up any excess dough in wax paper and keep it in the freezer for later like Pilsbury cookie dough and cut up a few slices when you want some cookies.
  • 1 cup softened butter (two sticks)
  • 1 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 cups of plain oatmeal (The quick cooking one minute kind)
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 3 handfulls of crushed walnuts (yeah, handfulls, whatever)
Instructions:

The first thing to do is to fire up your oven and set it to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. If your butter was in the freezer, nuke it in the microwave for about 12-15 seconds to soften it up. (Start with 12 and put it back in whatever time you need, as long as you don't melt it.) Then, in a large bowl put the butter, brown sugar and white sugar and mix it together with a mixer until you get a smooth even texture. No clumps.

Buttah. One hundred percent pure phat!

Mix in the eggs one at a time. Basically make sure the first egg is mixed in well before adding the second. And then mix in the vanilla extract.


Then add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix it some more with the mixer until it is all well blended.


Then add the oats, chocolate chips and walnuts and mix one last time. You may want to start with a spatula and then follow with the mixer to blend it well and break down the oats and nuts a little.


Yeah, about three handfulls of crushed wallnuts.
That's about one cup.

You should end up with a pretty smooth mixture, considering the fact that we have clumps of nuts and chocolate chips in there.


Put a sheet of aluminum paper over a baking sheet and grease it up with either butter, margarine or baking spray. Then with a table spoon, scoop up the dough and shape it into a flat ball and place it on the cookie sheet. Put about an inch of space between the clumps so they don't bake all stuck together.

That's about a spoonfull for each ball.

Finally, pop it in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes. (I know her recipe says 12 minutes, but I needed twice the time before mine were ready.) When they are done, take out the cookie sheet and let them cool for about two minute before transferring them to a wire rack to let them cool down completely.


After a few minutes you may enjoy them with a nice glass of milk. I warn you though, they are delicious but they are quite filling! So, don't eat too many! This recipe will make about two dozen cookies.

Aaaahh! That cheered me right up!


Now, who else wants some of my cookies? I still have a lot left!

No comments:

Post a Comment